Thursday, September 20, 2007

Utterz!

Today I was looking over the Steve Rubel Lifestream blog and noticed all the recent links he had posted. One of them caught my attention because of the name...Utterz "new micro blogging service."

Of course I went to the website to figure out just exactly what this new micro blogging is.

"Utterz is a new mobile blogging service, which puts your voice, videos, pictures and text on any of your web pages, right from your cell, for free."

At first, I was surprised to see such a thing, but after thinking about it for a minute I realized, "Why not?" With the cell phone technology and instant access cell phones gives us it makes all but perfect sense.

A micro blogger has a few options to get what they want on the web. First, one can "say." Someone can call into 712.432.mooo, (cute, i know), to share opinions, jokes, and general information to get posted. Next, someone can "text" what they want posted and in minutes one can find it online. Lastly, one can "pix and flix it." This option allows someone to match what they are trying to say by attaching a video or picture, send it to a link, and let the utterz staff take care of the rest. These different options allows users to use their utterz, that mashes all their sent information, and update their existing accounts on sites like Blogger, Facebook and Myspace.

Now, I can understand the convenience and ease of this new service in our fast paced world but I personally would never use it. These websites that they have listed to update for you such as Myspace, Facebook, and Blogger are, in my opinion, websites that can wait to be updated until you get home or access to a computer. As technology keeps growing people are not given an opportunity to be separated from it. What do yáll think?

3 comments:

Megan said...

Yeah I looked this up too to see what "micro blogging" was, and I agree though I love my technology as much as anyone I wouldn't use this either.

Why pay to call or text this service when I can wait to get to a computer and do the same thing easier and for free? I suspect this may be one Web 2.0 thing that will need to be tweaked if it's going to stick around. Good post - you explanation helped me understand it better. :)

mkeeganwatkins said...

Another extension of technology which may eventually lead to over communication. Why would one need to inform all their family, friends, co-workers, etc. of every event in one's day? Just as people who never stop talking often end up no longer being heard, I tend to view these services from a quality vs. quantity stance... just because you have the means to express doesn't mean that the message itself is important.

Shane said...

Intersting blog. I had never heard of this before. It is intersting to see how far technology is coming. Why I think this particular product is a little ridiculous, like you said "Why not." I think I will stick to using my computer to do updates, but I am sure that some people will jump on board.